- India has the largest area in the world under cotton (91.25 lakh hectares in 2005-06).
- The third largest producer of cotton in the world after China and USA (243 lakh bales in 2004-05).
- India is the only country cultivating cotton of all staple classes and belonging to all four cultivable species.
- Cotton provides livelihood to 60 million people engaged in farming, industry and trade related to cotton and cotton products.
- Textile exports account for 30% of India’s total exports. Cotton textiles alone make up 20% of the exports.
- Short unspinnable desi cottons to extra-long (40mm) Suvin, spinnable to 120s count are grown in the country.
- Positive characteristics include low neps, good dye absorption, relatively better priced, good lustre.
India in the cotton world :
India’s Share (Area and Production)
Area in million hectares Production in million MT