Soya nuggets or Soya Chunks or “Bari” is commonly known as the vegetarian meat. It is prepared from defatted Soya flour by the process of extrusion cooking. During the process, the protein in the flour undergoes structural changes and forms a fiber like network. The texturised product on soaking in water, absorbs the same and develops a meat like and chewy characteristics and therefore nuggets are called as vegetarian meat. They are a rich source of protein and among the vegetable proteins they contribute a maximum level of 50% protein.
Scientific Name :
Indian Name :
Soya Bean Bari
- Soya Beans contain antioxidants. These compounds protect cells from damage that is caused by free radicals. These free radicals are believed to be responsible for many cancers and premature aging.
- Soya Beans have cholesterol- lowering properties. They lower LDL (Low-density lipoprotein) and raise HDL (High-density lipoprotein).
- Soya Beans can increase bone mineral density and decrease calcium loss in aging women.
- Soya Beans contain natural plant hormones known as isoflavones. These isoflavones are also called phytoestrogens. The phytoestrogens are similar to the estrogens that our bodies produce naturally. During menopause, the body produces less estrogen. However, phytoestrogens located within the Soya Bean can be absorbed by the body, and thus mimic estrogen.
Available Forms There are a wide variety of products made from Soya Bean. Some examples are :
- Tofu -Soya Bean curd is made from coagulated Soya milk. It is sometimes known as Soya cheese. It can be purchased as silken tofu or firm tofu.
- Textured Vegetable protein (Nuggets or Chunks) – It is made from defatted Soya flour which is processed and dried to give a sponge-like texture. It can be flavored to resemble meat. It is usually incorporated into vegetarian burgers, sausages, and canned foods.
- Soya Sauces – It is made from fermented Soya Beans with cracked roasted wheat, salt and water.
- Soya Milk – It is used as a substitute for dairy milk. It provides a large amount of protein. Most brands add calcium, Vitamin-D2, Vitamine-Bl2, and VitaminB2.
Uses & Application Soya Chunks with its hydration properties can be used in both vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes. In the non vegetarian dishes, it is used as an economical meat substitute. In the vegetarian dishes it is used in pulao, gravies and vegetables etc. Soya chunks make special diet food with high protein, breakfast cereals and noodles. This is a highly nutritious food supplement, is widely used in military diet. Specifications Physical Properties
|Colour||Natural Golden Yellow Caramel|
|Bulk Density||0.17 to 0.22 g/ cc|
|Screen Analysis||100% passing through 7/8″ Hole Mesh|
|Water holding capacity||2.5 to times|
|Sand and Silica||(Max) 0.2%|
|Metabolic Energy Value||340 K Cal / 100 gm|
|Packaging Details||• In consumer packs of 1 Kg, 2 Kg, 5 Kg & 10 Kg • In multi wall paper bags of 25 Kg, 25 Lb & 50 Lb • Poly Propylene (PP) , High Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE) of 25 Kg, 25 Lb & 50 Lb • New Jute Bags of 25 Kg, 50 Kg & 50 Lb with or without inside liner • Or as per customers specification / requirement|